Court remands 18-year-old over Fagersta school attack

Sunday 23rd August 2026 on 20:00 in Sweden

Fagersta, school attack, sweden

A court on Sunday remanded 18-year-old Liam Nebel in custody on probable cause suspicion of murder and attempted murder following the attack at Brinell School in Fagersta, SVT News reports. A 17-year-old girl was killed and three teenage boys were injured, two seriously.

Police were called to the school at 2.06pm on Friday after a masked attacker wearing black clothing and a helmet reportedly entered the school carrying a sword.

Nebel is a student at the school. He started on its electrical and energy programme last year and reportedly attended classes during the week. His lawyer, Anes Sabic, said Nebel acknowledged that probable cause existed for murder.

Police are also investigating a TikTok account that posted a photograph shortly before the attack. The image shows a sword on what appears to be a guitar case on a toilet floor, with the words No more edits written over it. The floor tiles correspond to images from a toilet at Brinell School. The account had previously posted material that could be interpreted as praise for acts of violence and school attacks, and was removed shortly after the incident.

People who know Nebel described him as quiet and withdrawn. A former martial arts club teammate said he rarely spoke to others and focused on his own training. Another person connected to him described him as unusual and said he had recently moved into his own flat in Fagersta.

Documents from an administrative court describe a childhood marked by violence, threats and serious deficiencies in care. They state that Nebel was subjected to intensive martial arts training and that his food intake was restricted to control his weight. The documents also refer to difficulties with impulse control, managing his emotions positively and his mental wellbeing.

About two years ago, Nebel was placed in a foster home in Fagersta. The placement was continued under LVU last year. Shortly afterwards, he was sentenced to youth community service for assaulting a classmate at his former primary school.

Source 
(via SVT)