Lobster fishers in Lillebælt threaten police report over damaged traps

Sunday 23rd August 2026 on 17:15 in Denmark

diving clubs, Lillebælt, lobster fishing

Lobster fishers in Lillebælt say their traps have been damaged and emptied, with the local fishing association warning that future incidents will be reported to police, DR reports.

Andreas Granild Hansen, a fisher from Fredericia, said seven of his 10 traps were cut open in June. The traps are used to catch lobster.

“They are cut to pieces from one end to the other, so new equipment is needed every time. It is money straight out of my pocket. It is a loss,” he said.

Granild Hansen earns his living from lobster fishing in Lillebælt for around half the year. He said the traps are emptied weekly, although deliberate damage is less common.

No one knows who is responsible or whether the damage is deliberate. Divers may possibly have mistaken the traps for so-called ghost nets, old fishing nets that can cause serious harm to marine life.

Problem worse than ever

Granild Hansen, a sixth-generation fisher in Lillebælt, said the problem had never been as serious as it is now.

Allan Buch, chairman of the Bælterne Fishing Association, said many lobster fishers in Lillebælt had experienced similar damage.

“It is becoming a fairly serious problem because the equipment is expensive and cannot simply be repaired. I think most lobster fishers in Lillebælt have encountered it. These are damage incidents resembling vandalism,” he said.

The incidents have not been reported to police so far. Buch said that would change if the problem continued.

“So far, we have appealed to people to use their common sense. But if this does not stop, it will be reported to the police,” he said.

Meeting with diving clubs planned

Buch now plans to invite diving clubs to a meeting. Henning Aaberg, chairman of the Aktiv diving club in Fredericia, said he was surprised the fishermen had not contacted diving clubs earlier.

“I have not heard about this problem with damaged fishing equipment and stolen lobsters before. I was surprised that the fishermen had not approached the diving clubs if there was a problem,” he said.

Aaberg rejected the suggestion that divers were responsible. Buch also stressed that he was not accusing anyone specifically and said he wanted to open a dialogue about the problem.

Source 
(via DR)