Sunda municipality will preserve Hósvík and Hvalvík schools

Friday 21st August 2026 on 19:30 in Faroe Islands

education, schools, Sunda municipality

The primary schools in Hósvík and Hvalvík will remain open, Kringvarp Føroya reports. The schools serve pupils from first to third grade and will continue as independent schools with their own leadership, according to Eyðstein Zachariasen, mayor of Sunda Municipality.

There are no plans to close the two schools and merge them with the School at Streym, the mayor said.

Hjalmar Hansen, director of the Education Directorate, has recommended merging the smallest public schools. In an opinion article in Sosialurin, he proposed limiting the number of schools to no more than 20, with at least 100 pupils in each. He said schools could develop better capabilities by bringing pupils together in larger schools.

Zachariasen said residents of Sunda Municipality were satisfied with the current structure, which includes Hósvík School, Hvalvík School and the School at Streym.

The municipality has previously considered closing the schools in Hósvík and Hvalvík and concentrating education at the School at Streym. After residents expressed their view in 2016, however, the conclusion was that both schools should be preserved.

Hvalvík School is currently in poor condition and is due to be renovated soon. The decision to preserve it remains in place, Zachariasen said.

Source 
(via KVF)