Defence fair expands with more than 500 new exhibitors
Wednesday 19th August 2026 on 09:45 in
Denmark
More than 500 new companies are exhibiting at the Nordic region’s largest defence fair this year, DR reports. The event has moved from Ballerup to Messecenter Herning because of growing interest in weapons, drones and technology.
More than 1,200 exhibitors from over 25 countries are expected to take part, with more than 20,000 visitors attending over two days, said Lieutenant General Per P. Olsen, head of the Danish Ministry of Defence’s Acquisition and Logistics Organisation.
Last year, 700 companies exhibited at the defence industry fair, which was then held in Ballerup.
Ikast-based Niebuhr Gears is taking part for the first time. The company primarily produces gears for wind turbines and already supplies a small amount to the defence industry. It hopes to meet potential partners and expand its role in the growing sector.
“We are world champions at making gears, and there is a need for them in the defence industry, so it is very attractive to us,” said managing director and owner Rasmus Niebuhr.
Niebuhr Gears employs 140 people in Denmark. Niebuhr said the company had few reservations about entering the defence industry, as attitudes towards the sector had changed in recent years.
“It is very much the spirit of the times that we must be able to defend ourselves. That is why we are actually proud to be part of the solution for the Danish defence,” he said.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has increased the need to strengthen defence capabilities across Europe, Olsen said. He added that the conflict had also increased interest in taking part in the fair.
“There is an increasing need for a capable defence industry that can help us in peacetime, but also in crisis and war. That is why there is much greater political focus and far more funding in this area, and therefore also much greater interest from potential suppliers,” he said.