Norwegian elite figure slammed for attending strike-hit hotel party on constitution day

Tuesday 19th 2026 on 06:00 in  
Norway
constitution day, labour dispute, norway

Norway’s military chief and other prominent public figures have drawn criticism for attending a private Constitution Day celebration at Grand Hotel in Oslo, which is affected by an ongoing strike in the hotel and restaurant sector, according to a report by Dagbladet.

The annual 17 May gathering, hosted by businessman Christian Ringnes, took place on Sunday despite the strike entering its fifth week with no resolution in sight. Among those who appeared on the hotel’s balconies were comedian and television personality Thomas Giertsen, comedian Robert Stolteberg, a number of business leaders, and Armed Forces Chief Eirik Kristoffersen, who was seen in full dress uniform.

Former Labour Party politician and trade union representative Trygve Tamburstuen told Dagbladet he viewed the attendance of high-profile public figures as a serious lapse in judgment.

“At best, it is tone-deaf. At worst, it is improper. This is a company under strike,” said Tamburstuen, who says he has been involved in the labour and trade union movement for more than 60 years.

While Grand Hotel remains open, parts of its operations, including catering, are affected by the strike. Tamburstuen said he found it particularly problematic that the armed forces chief attended in uniform.

“As an official representative of Norway, you stay away from a situation this sensitive. The chief of defence is not a private person on 17 May,” he said.

The Norwegian Armed Forces responded to Dagbladet’s enquiry, stating that Kristoffersen began the day at broadcaster TV 2 before spending the morning in central Oslo with his wife. “He briefly stopped by Grand to greet a friend who had invited him, then walked around the city to take part in the 17 May celebrations in Oslo. He then travelled to Belgium in the afternoon for meetings with other defence chiefs,” the Armed Forces wrote in an email.

Richard Storevik, leader of the Fellesforbundet trade union, also criticised the gathering. “It looks bad. It is disrespectful and I expect better from people like that,” he told Dagbladet. Earlier on Sunday, Storevik had urged 17 May revellers to avoid venues with strike pickets outside.

PR veteran Hans Geelmuyden, who also attended the Ringnes party, posted a photo on Facebook with former members of parliament Saera Khan and Jenny Klinge, captioning it: “Strike-breakers at a 17 May party. Thank you, Christian Ringnes.” He later told Dagbladet the post was intended as humorous, and said he had seen no strike pickets when he arrived. Geelmuyden added that he considered the basis for the strike to be absurd, arguing that the dispute over the advance payment of sick pay from the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration should be resolved by the state rather than employers.

The strike in the hotel and restaurant sector centres on a union demand that employers advance sick pay from the Norwegian welfare system to workers, a demand the employer side has refused to accept.

Source 
(via Dagbladet)