Family considers challenge after ashes stolen from grave
Friday 21st August 2026 on 10:15 in
Iceland
The family of Kristjana Jónsdóttir Dinse is considering whether to challenge the dismissal of an investigation after her grave was opened, her cremation urn was broken and most of the ashes were stolen, mbl.is reports.
The grave at Fossvogur Cemetery in Reykjavík was opened last summer. The ash bag inside the urn was emptied almost completely before the urn was returned to the grave, which was then covered and levelled.
Staff from Reykjavík Cemeteries later helped the family excavate the urn again to document what had happened. Ingvar Stefánsson, the organisation’s managing director, told RÚV that he knew of no comparable case in Iceland.
Aðalbjörg Jónsdóttir, Kristjana’s granddaughter, told RÚV that her father was examining the family’s next steps, including whether there was a legal avenue to challenge the police decision to drop the investigation and the state prosecutor’s confirmation of that decision. She said the family did not accept the outcome.
The justification for closing the case said police had been unable to question the suspects and that there were no grounds to continue the investigation. It also remained unclear who had exhumed Kristjana Jónsdóttir Dinse’s remains and why.
The Office of the State Prosecutor confirmed the police decision. Prosecutor Anna Barbara Andradóttir wrote that the case remained unresolved and that the perpetrator was unknown.