Sweden records three more measles cases after Urkult festival

Thursday 20th August 2026 on 14:15 in Sweden

measles, sweden, Urkult festival

Three more measles cases have been reported following the Urkult festival in Sollefteå Municipality, the Public Health Agency of Sweden said, according to SVT. One of those infected is a student at an upper secondary school in Gothenburg.

The total number of reported cases in the ongoing outbreak has now reached 24. The first cases were reported on Saturday.

“The majority of cases are children under 18,” the Public Health Agency said in a statement, adding that most of those infected are unvaccinated.

Cases had previously been reported in Jämtland Härjedalen, Skåne, Stockholm, Västerbotten, Gotland, Värmland and Västernorrland. The infection has now also been detected in Västra Götaland and Sörmland.

The student at the Gothenburg school has a connection to the outbreak identified after the festival earlier this month. The school was informed on Wednesday evening that the student had tested positive and had attended classes during the week.

“The student was at school during the start-up period. The information available now is that the student was feeling well,” education director Bo Drysén told GP.

The school remains open as usual and is following recommendations from infection control authorities.

Source 
(via SVT)