Bandero crew member says whale protest achieved its aim
Tuesday 18th August 2026 on 22:15 in
Iceland
Shannon Mann, a crew member of the Paul Watson organisation’s ship Bandero, says the voyage to Iceland successfully drew attention to whale hunting, mbl.is reported. Mann has returned to her home in Saskatoon, Canada, after being expelled from Iceland with other crew members and reportedly being banned from returning.
Mann, who served as a deckhand aboard Bandero, told a Canadian media outlet that it had been difficult to readjust to life ashore after spending time off Iceland’s coast.
The Icelandic Coast Guard boarded Bandero on July 30 after the crew of Hval 9 requested assistance and said they felt their safety was threatened. Bandero did not comply with orders to leave Icelandic jurisdiction and later ignored instructions to stop its engines. According to the report, all 21 crew members were detained.
Mann said the days after Icelandic authorities boarded the vessel were difficult, and that the crew was uncertain for a time about when they would be allowed to leave the ship.
She said the crew could nevertheless be proud of its actions, despite the stressful circumstances.
“I think the crew can be proud. It was stressful at times, but that is nothing compared with what fin whales have to endure almost every day during the whaling season,” Mann said.
Paul Watson agreed, saying the purpose of the voyage had been to draw international attention to Icelandic whaling. In his view, the mission succeeded.
Most of Bandero’s crew members have now been expelled from Iceland, according to the Canadian outlet. Mann and other crew members plan to challenge the bans preventing them from returning.