Finnish police launch fresh search for missing father suspected murdered in 1999

Saturday 23rd May 2026 on 07:15 in Finland Finland

Finland, homicide investigation, missing person

Finnish authorities will conduct new ground searches this summer in the decades-old disappearance of Kimmo Ojala, a 29-year-old father last seen in June 1999, Yle reports. Investigators now strongly suspect he was the victim of homicide.

Detective Chief Inspector Mika Salminen of Southeast Finland Police confirmed the case has been treated as a murder investigation since 2020, with the hypothesis of foul play growing stronger as the probe has advanced. “We’ve received valuable tips and are examining this case from the ground up,” Salminen said.

Ojala, a transport entrepreneur and father of a young child, was last confirmed alive on 6 June 1999 in Ristiina, South Savo, by an acquaintance. His red Ford LTD Wagon was later found abandoned in Kouvola’s Lehtomäki district in February 2000 after a public tip, though it remains unclear who left it there.

Police have conducted multiple searches in recent years, including field operations in autumn 2024, with further efforts planned for summer and autumn 2026. While Salminen declined to specify whether the number of suspects—previously reported as several—has changed, financial motives were cited in earlier stages of the inquiry.

Ojala was declared legally dead in 2007, with his official date of death set as 6 June 2004, five years after his disappearance. His mother told Yle in 2020 she still hoped for answers.

Authorities continue to solicit public tips via email at or by phone at +358 29 543 5748.

Source 
(via Yle)