Norwegian hotel chain to open 168-room hotel in Tampere

Wednesday 26th August 2026 on 16:15 in Finland

Frenckell paper mill, hotels, Tampere

Norwegian hotel chain Strawberry will operate a new 168-room hotel in Tampere’s historic Frenckell paper mill, Yle reports. The hotel is expected to open in spring 2028 after an extensive renovation.

The hotel will include a suite, two restaurants and 800 square metres of meeting and event space. Its large lobby will feature a reception desk, bar, areas for working and socialising, a shop and a performance stage.

During the summer, the courtyard will also be used for dining and events. The hotel will have a direct connection to Theatre Frenckell, which will continue operating in the building throughout the renovation.

Marko Kuusisto, chief executive of the building’s owner Aare Invest, said the hotel and its services were intended to form part of everyday life in Tampere, rather than serve only hotel guests.

The main entrance is planned on the Frenckell Park side, with access via a bridge. A two-storey glass extension is also planned for the courtyard.

Design work is being carried out by Finnish firm Fyra, while Neva and Co is responsible for the overall architectural design. The plans aim to draw on the industrial history and character of the Frenckell area.

Preparatory work has been under way during the summer, with construction due to begin fully in September. The Frenckell building has about 20,000 square metres of space, of which the hotel will occupy approximately 12,000 square metres.

All internal partition walls have been removed from parts of the building. The area previously housed the Tampere mayor’s office and other municipal offices.

Aare Invest bought the Frenckell building from the City of Tampere in spring 2023 for 14.3 million euros. The city approved the owner’s application to deviate from the local detailed plan in June.

The Pirkanmaa Regional Museum opposed the planned glass extension, saying it would weaken the building’s and courtyard’s cultural and historical values. No appeal was filed against the city’s decision with the administrative court.

The owner also applied for other deviations, including changes to the location of the main entrance and the partial removal of roof structures.

Frenckell paper mill history

Abraham Häggman founded a rag-paper mill beside the Tammerkoski rapids in 1783. Printer Johan Cristopher Frenckell bought the factory in 1832, when it was renamed J.C. Frenckell and Son.

Finland’s first continuously operated paper machine began running at the mill in 1842. A new office building was completed in 1847, and the factory and surrounding area were rebuilt in 1901 under architect Birger Federley.

The company became a subsidiary of W. Rosenlew and Co. in 1921. The area was sold to the City of Tampere in 1928, and paper production ended in 1929. The premises later housed, among other things, a television studio, offices and a theatre.

The city sold the factory building to a property company backed by Aare Invest in 2022. It sold the office building to Aare Invest in 2024. The City of Tampere is scheduled to leave the factory premises in 2026.

Source 
(via Yle)