Police used conducted energy weapon on 16-year-old in Uusikaarlepyy
Saturday 22nd August 2026 on 09:15 in
Finland
Police used a conducted energy weapon on a 16-year-old boy during an assault-related incident in Uusikaarlepyy on Friday, Yle reports.
The incident took place on Friday evening in the town square during the Juthbacka Market, a popular summer event.
Antti Kola, a chief inspector with the Ostrobothnia Police Department, confirmed the use of the weapon on a minor. He said police were still investigating the exact course of events and would provide more information as soon as possible.
According to police, the incident was preceded by an active violent situation that required officers to intervene.
In Finland, police use conducted energy weapons slightly more than once a day on average. Experts say their use against minors is not very common.
Police Chief Ilkka Koskimäki said on Yle’s A-studio programme earlier this week that police do not use conducted energy weapons on children, elderly people or pregnant women.
Discussion about police use of the weapons has increased since a 50-year-old man with an intellectual disability died slightly more than a week ago after one was used on him.