Tampere rejects independent review of disputed Särkänsilta bridge
Friday 21st August 2026 on 19:30 in
Finland
Tampere will not commission an independent review of the disputed Särkänsilta pedestrian bridge, Yle reports. The city’s internal audit found no grounds for one.
A citizens’ initiative signed by 523 people had called for an independent examination of the bridge’s preparation, decision-making process and costs. The initiative also sought to establish how the city-owned Särkänniemi amusement park could influence zoning decisions.
The internal audit reviewed documents and conducted interviews. In its statement, the head of audit said it had found no new or significant information that would justify reassessing the decision-making process.
The statement noted that the Hämeenlinna Administrative Court had already considered the same issues in 2023, when it rejected an appeal against a zoning amendment for Särkänniemi. The court also found that none of the decision-makers had been disqualified from taking part in the matter’s consideration by the city council.
The bridge cost nearly six million euros to build and has been criticised as unnecessary and for its effects on ships in the nearby harbour.
Initiative’s organisers disappointed
Mikko Manka, the contact person for the citizens’ initiative, said he was disappointed by the decision. He said the initiative was motivated by a desire to examine how a single company could influence zoning.
“Morally, it is interesting how a company owned by the city can effectively dictate zoning over everyone else,” Manka said.
Manka is the captain of a heritage steamship and a tourism researcher. The heritage steamship Näsijärvi II, which he captains, had to leave Mustanlahti harbour because of the bridge.
He also criticised a statement expressing the city’s hope that the city, Särkänniemi and the heritage steamships would cooperate in the future.
“When two of the three heritage ships have left the harbour, it is easy to talk about cooperation when the ships are no longer there,” Manka said.
Bridge ended up at second entrance
The citizens’ initiative also questioned whether the bridge was necessary. During the planning stage, it was justified on the grounds that visitors would be able to use it to reach a new main entrance to the amusement park.
While construction was under way, Särkänniemi unexpectedly withdrew the planned location for the new main entrance. Once completed, the bridge instead led to the park’s second entrance.
The initiative also called for an examination of decision-makers’ dual roles and possible conflicts of interest.
Deputy Mayor Johanna Kirjavainen, who chairs Särkänniemi’s steering group, said the decision marked the end of the city’s review of the decision-making related to the bridge.
“The citizens’ initiative has been respected, and the matter has been examined thoroughly. Residents have the right to discuss issues,” said Kirjavainen, who represents the Greens.
Kirjavainen said the initiative was not a vote of no confidence in the city, but a normal part of local democracy and transparent decision-making.
Tampere has extensive plans for the Särkänniemi area, including ideas for a hotel, spa, cable car, water park and multipurpose arena. The latest plan is a new coastal cycling route running from Särkänsilta to Onkiniemi.
The city recently said it would have to divide the development of the Särkänniemi area into separate parts. In June, the Hämeenlinna Administrative Court overturned Tampere’s decision to make an investment of nearly 26 million euros in Särkänniemi. The court said the city had not sufficiently assessed whether the investment breached European Union state aid rules and could include prohibited state aid.