Four workers face criminal allegations at Kajaani care unit

Friday 21st August 2026 on 12:30 in Finland

criminal allegations, intellectual disabilities, Kajaani

Yle has obtained new documents concerning alleged crimes at the Rajamiehentie residential unit in Kajaani, where four employees are suspected of offences against three residents with intellectual disabilities.

The documents submitted by the Kainuu wellbeing services county to the Licensing and Supervisory Agency show that employees have been questioned about violence, degrading language and inappropriate treatment, including preventing and threatening residents.

The documents indicate that the allegations may involve more than isolated acts and may partly concern established practices. Investigators have examined whether residents were provoked or teased and whether unnecessary force was used. The documents do not specify what incidents are alleged to have taken place.

Yle reported on Thursday that pepper spray had been used on residents at the unit, which provides round-the-clock supported housing for people with intellectual disabilities. The wellbeing services county justified the practice on staff safety grounds, saying residents can behave in challenging ways.

Experts in services for people with intellectual disabilities have been shocked by the use of pepper spray. The documents reviewed by Yle do not show whether its use was connected to the suspected crimes.

The events at the unit began to be investigated in April. The matter led to a meeting and a written report. The Kainuu wellbeing services county considered the situation serious enough to file a request for a police investigation and make the events public in early May.

The case proceeded to a police pre-trial investigation and is now under consideration by prosecutors. Two employees are suspected of assault and breach of official duties. One is suspected of defamation and breach of official duties, while another is suspected of coercion and defamation. All four deny committing crimes.

The case has resulted in two employees having their employment terminated. Six others have received written warnings.

In its documents, the wellbeing services county said the unit also employs staff who treat residents respectfully and well and who have a strong desire to improve their work.

The county declined Yle’s request for an interview, citing the ongoing prosecutorial consideration and saying that authorities are responsible for communications while the case is pending.

The county said changes have been made to the unit’s operations and staff. It also said it would take into account future observations from the supervisory authority concerning self-monitoring.

Source 
(via Yle)