Accused says he left car before alleged Reykholt attack
Tuesday 18th August 2026 on 16:01 in
Iceland
Halldór Logi Sigurðsson, accused of breaking into a man’s home in Reykholt on the night of April 20, tying him up and assaulting him, says he was not present during the alleged attack, mbl.is reports.
“I was at Andri’s home. I had been smoking weed and listening to music,” Halldór told the District Court of South Iceland, which is hearing the main proceedings in the case. A prison officer accompanied him to court and attended the questioning.
Halldór said he had set off from Kópavogur towards Reykholt with Andri Már Mortensen Birgisson and two other men. He said he decided to leave the car in Mosfellsbær because he became suspicious about what was happening.
He said he had been staying in a guest room at Andri and his fiancée Ingunn’s home in Kópavogur for two or three nights. He often stayed there when visiting Reykjavík because he lived on the Reykjanes peninsula and the journey between the two places was long.
On the night in question, he said he was smoking weed and listening to music when two “large” men he did not know arrived. They were older than him, he said, with one probably born around 1985 and the other slightly younger.
“Then they were going to sort something out for Ingunn’s father. I did not like the look of it. Someone was supposed to be taken out of the apartment. Some unpaid rent or something,” Halldór said.
He said he got into the car with the three men without knowing the destination, then got out in Mosfellsbær. “Some woman” later drove him back to Andri and Ingunn’s home in Kópavogur.
Ingunn had also left, he said, so he hitchhiked to Keflavík and ended up at his registered home address. Halldór works as a sailor and went to sea on Monday.
“I simply did not like the look of it. There was so much chaos going on, and I did not like how agitated Andri was, for example. He was somehow all over the place, and that made me think: I do not want to be there,” Halldór said.
His testimony conflicts with that of Níels, who gave evidence in court earlier on Tuesday. Níels said there had been only three men in the car from the beginning and that they were the same three men who entered the victim’s home. In his initial statements to police, Níels referred to Halldór by name, but in court he referred to him inconsistently.